There is so much information available on how to keep fit and well, it can be overwhelming if you’re not sure where to start.
On this page we’ve put together a list of resources we hope will help you to kickstart your wellness journey.
Take a holistic approach
Before you embark on a new physical fitness routine, take time to consider your overall health and lifestyle. This will help you to understand more about both your mind and body. By considering the needs of your whole-self, you are more likely to find a routine you enjoy and succeed in sticking to it.
Exercising at home
Exercising at home is great. It’s cost effective, you can do it around your other committments, and there’s something to suit everyone from yoga, to zumba, to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).
Here are our favourites to get you started, or perhaps you’ve just got fed up of your usual routine and need some new ideas:
- The NHS Fitness Studio has 24 instructor-led videos in the aerobic exercise, strength and resistance, and pilates and yoga categories. These workouts have been created by fitness experts and range from 10 to 45 minutes
- “The nation’s PE teacher” Joe Wicks has over 250 free workouts for all ages over on The Body Coach TV
- Body Project offers high energy, motivating workouts to do from home. Thier holistic exercise programme includes HIIT cardio, resistance training, pilates and yoga
- Check out POPSUGAR fitness for all the latest dance trends with 100s of free 10 – 30 minute workouts
- Strengthen your mind and body with Yoga with Adriene and watch out for her cute dog Benji! Discover yoga for all levels – and it’s free!
- Tone up with BLOGILATES Join Cassey Ho as she integrates pilates with high energy fitness routines
- If you’re short on space at home MADFIT is home to a number of “apartment friendly” workouts
- Need help to stay motivated? Join Stylist UK’s Strong Women Training Club for training plans to suit every level (free 14 day trial – paid membership thereafter)
- The Men’s Health Fitness Centre offers plenty of home workout inspiration which includes their “30 Day Ab Challenge”
- Follow ATHLEAN-X for free workouts, nutrition and training advice to get you on your way to a healthy, leaner, more muscular, athletic body (if that’s your thing of course!)
Find out what's happening locally
The best place to start is locally if you’re looking to take part in a team sport or train with other people. If there’s a particular activity you’re interested in, why not see if there’s a club or facility near to you? Many offer taster sessions with no committment. There’s motivation in numbers!
Use the BBC Get Inspired Club Finder that lists an A-Z of different sports. Search by postcode to find your nearest club. You’ll be surprised what’s right on your doorstep!
Get inspired - social media
Social media is a mecca for those passionate about health and fitness. If you need some daily inspo to help keep you on track during your wellness journey, find and follow someone you can relate to. There’s a whole community out there waiting to welcome and motivate you.
Please note the web links on this page link to third-party content which we (Healthy Wealden) do not endorse and are not responsible for.
Some events or activities may not be available due to COVID-19 Government restrictions. Please ensure you are following the correct guidance at all times: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus